Blog Migration

Posted in Uncategorized

In search of a bit more flexibility, I have decided to move my existing blog at dotnet.org.za to www.rohland.co.za. For lack of a better name, I ended up with the obvious pretentious default :P

I am very grateful for the service made available via the dotnet.org.za portal. A year ago it allowed me to get up and running with my blog relatively quickly. To the administrators of the portal – thank you!

In terms of moving forward, I was not sure what the correct procedure for moving my existing blog away from dotnet.org.za was, so I ended up implementing a simple script to redirect to my new domain. Hopefully, I will be able to organise a mechanism whereby future posts here reflect in the dotnet.org.za main feed. If not, then I guess that is the penalty for moving my blog.

Hopefully you subscribe to the RSS feed available here, or at the very least, check back periodically for new content. Please let me know if spot any issues.

If you have landed here after clicking a link related to one of my older blog posts, simply use the search feature available in the side bar to locate the content you were originally hoping to review.

Cheers,
Rohland

9 Responses

1. Sam Paddock says:

Hey Roh

Your blog content is GREAT! I’m interested to see you’re happy to go with PHP in the context of being such an excellent .NET developer :)

Rock and roll!

2. Rohland says:

Ha ha – thanks Samo.

Think I’ve always been an advocate for the idiom “horses for courses”. WordPress is just simply one of the best blog engines out there, regardless of the tech under the covers :)

Glad to see comments are working!

3. David Turvey says:

WordPress is definitely one of the better blogging engines. I tried dasBlog and Blog Engine .Net and I wasn’t happy with either. When you figure out how to integrate your blog feed with the main dotnet.org.za feed please let us know how to do it! :)

4. David Turvey says:

Also be sure to check out the SyntaxHighlighter Plus plugin for WordPress. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/syntaxhighlighter-plus/

5. Rohland says:

Great. Thanks for the tip. I was using Windows Live Writer for some of those older posts and was using the Copy as HTML plugin in Visual Studio, not a great solution.

Something I am struggling with in WordPress is getting the comment notification working. It is turned on but I am not getting any email notifications. Any ideas?

6. David Turvey says:

Rohland :

I don’t actually know if my comment notification is actually working either! I’ve only recently set up WordPress and my blog so I’m low on visitors still :) I’ll post some test comments on my blog and let you know.

7. Rohland says:

I got it working :)

Ended up using a plugin which sorted the issue out. Hope this sorts out your problem if you are still stuck.

8. baka says:

Hi, is there a way to get all my blog posts in rss format, not just the latest ones of from my dotnet.org.za/baka blog?

Thanks
    Baka

9. Rohland says:

Hey,

Not 100% sure, I ended up having to copy and paste stuff into my new blog (pain in the ass!). I think an admin on the community portal would be able to export everything to blog ML, perhaps its worth attempting to get hold of one of the admins? If you do make contact, please let me know who assisted you because I want to find out if there is a way we can aggregate our blog post feeds from sources other than those hosted at dotnet.org.za.

Cheers,